"Happiness is the meaning and the purpose of life, the whole aim and end of human existence." -Aristotle

Sunday 31 July 2011

Harry Potter Sunday :)

Well, Adam and I finally went to see the last Harry Potter film today. I've been waiting to see it, and wanted to get to the cinema before I start work full time and won't have all the free time that I'm used to now. And it was definitely worth the wait (and the £15 for two tickets, cheers Adam! <3 ) it stayed true to the book in all the important ways. The films are never a substitute for the books, but it makes me happy to see the books come to life. I've loved these stories so much, and have such an emotional attachment to the characters. Reading the books, I've felt like I've lived through the stories along with them, sharing adventures and battling dark wizards along with Harry and his friends. And every time a favorite character was killed off, it was like losing a friend. Recently I went through and re-read all the books, and even though I know the story by heart and there was no more anticipation of what would happen from one page to the next, the story still had the same emotional impact through all of the happiest and saddest parts. I think I could read them 100 times over, and they would still be as beautiful and sad and inspiring each time. It's sad to see all the films come to an end now too, but I'm glad that I've gotten to see them all. Truly, this is one of the best-told stories of our time. Hats off to JK Rowling and this wonderful tale she's created, and the whole cast and crew of all the films who brought these stories to life on screen. The message of courage and friendship and loyalty and strength and hope and love, the wise words of Dumbledore, and all we've learned from Harry's adventures will always stay with me, even though the story's had it's end. Ok, I know it's a bit geeky that I'm gushing on about it, but it's one of my favorite stories, and has meant so much to me.

So, this has been my Sunday afternoon, happily basking in Potter-mania :) Guess it's an appropriate day for it too, on the birthdays of both JK Rowling and Harry Potter. Sundays for me since I've moved here have always been a day to spend with Adam, having a lie-in in the mornings, then going grocery shopping, having Sunday brunch, and either having a lazy afternoon, or going out and doing something together or with family. I guess Sundays will change now, once I'll be working on them probably more often than not, soon enough. That's one things that I'll miss, not having as many days to spend with Adam anymore. But still, when I remember how it was when I still lived back in Delaware... at least I'll always come home to him every night, and even just a few hours to spend together every day is a lot more than we had back then. I'm just so thankful for where I am now, for Adam, for the places I love, for the stories that have been an inspiration, for the characters that have been my friends, for all the little things in life that bring me happiness. For the fish pie I'm about to be having for tea :) and for knowing there are always things to look forward to, and the good times and the stories that have already happened can always be revisited in memories.


Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?  -Dumbledore

No comments:

Post a Comment