"Happiness is the meaning and the purpose of life, the whole aim and end of human existence." -Aristotle

Thursday 2 February 2012

exploring my inner fashionista

Ok, I know no one could mistake me for a fashionista, and I'm not usually into some "girly" things like shopping all the time and owning loads of shoes and handbags. But now and then, I do get that bug to want to go out and try to find some nice things for myself. But the problem is, I'm totally picky. It has to be the right color, the right print, the right style, look at least semi-flattering on my chubbyish figure, and also be a good enough bargain, as I refuse to spend loads of money for a new outfit.

Looking in my wardrobe makes it obvious that it could use a bit of an overhaul. Most of my time is spent either at work, where I wear my grubby uniform, or lounging around the house, where a pullover top and pj pants will do just fine, or even just running out to do some errands, where I can trade said pj pants for a pair of jeans and be on my way. But for times when Adam and I go to the pub, or go for a night out somewhere, sometimes I struggle with finding something smart to wear. Even something smart-casual to wear can be a challenge on some occasions. Again, the struggle comes in that when I have to choose comfort or fashion, I want to lean towards comfort. If I put on something that won't be warm enough, I'll be cold and miserable while we're out. Or if I put on shoes that may be even slightly impractical, my feet will be uncomfortable. But then when I dress down and go for comfort, I end up feeling scruffy next to other girls who have on super-shoes and cool outfits. It is nice now and then to dress well and feel good about yourself. I just like to be able to find a happy medium, where I can look nice and still be comfortable enough.

So with all these factors, it can make it hard for me to find much when I go shopping. Yesterday I was wandering around Asda, and noticed a lot of cute styles. But the patterns on the tops tended to be either flowery or really bold, loud patterns, which really aren't me. What happened to solid colors, or subtle patterns? And then the few things I did try on looked nicer on the racks than they did when I put them on. Shame too, because for those prices I could've picked quite a few things if they had suited me well enough.

I think part of what's gotten me in the shopping mood is reading chick-lit again. Too much talk of shopping, nights out, fabulous clothes, shoes and handbags. It just brings out my inner girly-side, I guess, haha. But I do have some time off work this week, and a bit of money I can afford to spend, so I think one or two more trips planned out to the shops are in order. Hopefully this time they'll be more successful, and I'll actually find a few things that fit all my criteria.

3 comments:

  1. Hey love
    Is there a Next, New look or House of Fraser your way? They all seem to have decent, stylish clothes for cheap. I bought a ton of plain colored shirts at Next last time I was out there. Hell Sainsbury I found a shirt, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have all those shops here, yes. I tend to have better luck in either Primark, H&M, or Marks and Spencers, but one of these days I'll go into the city centre and just hit them all up to see what I can find :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know, I tend the have the same problem a lot. I'm not especially fashionable (half the time I don't even stop wearing my pjs XD), so I really understand you here lol. I did manage to find a couple nice things for a good price not long ago and even just a couple new tops and some slacks really gave me more choices for looking smart when I want to, but like you it can be hard for me to find stuff I actually like, in a color/pattern I would want to wear, that looks nice on me, that I want to pay for, that won't make me miserable and self conscious while I'm out.

    I really do hope you can find yourself some nice stuff soon! Good luck :D (and yes, if I'm reading chick lit, or watching certain kinds of movies I suddenly become all about clothes, shoes, etc as well >.<)

    ReplyDelete