"Happiness is the meaning and the purpose of life, the whole aim and end of human existence." -Aristotle

Tuesday 18 October 2011

mistakes

"Freedom isn't worth having if it doesn't include the freedom to make mistakes." - Mahatma Gandhi

Came across this quote on Twitter and it really got me thinking back to a time when I was young and insisting on something quite similar to what this quote is saying. And since I talked about freedom on here the other day, seems appropriate to also be talking about the outcome of having freedom and what our choices can bring, which yes, sometimes it does mean that we make mistakes.

I remember being 17, and getting to that point where I realized that my choices were my voice in the world, and I wanted my voice to be heard. Even if that meant that I stumbled along the way, and made mistakes, to me it was better than just doing what I was told and not making my own choices, not letting my voice be heard. And yes, once I had that freedom to make my own choices, I ended up making a lot of mistakes. But here's the thing about mistakes: sometimes they can inadvertently lead to other opportunities, and take you on a completely unexpected path, and sometimes the outcome of that can be a really good one. Honestly, when I look back at the events in my life, some of the worst things I went through lead to some of the best things that ever happened to me. And when I think about it, I don't know if I'd be where I am now if I hadn't made some of the mistakes I did. And when you look at it that way, it really was worth it. Mistakes are just a part of life, and sometimes they're necessary to teach us important lessons. And who knows, sometimes they may even be part of our ultimate destiny.

No comments:

Post a Comment