"Happiness is the meaning and the purpose of life, the whole aim and end of human existence." -Aristotle

Tuesday 4 October 2011

feeling like Autumn

Well, after one last beautiful day yesterday, it looks like our Indian summer has come to an end. Today is cloudy, chillier, and the breeze is really making it feel like October. I wonder though if I'd be a bit more in the mood for Autumn if I were back in the States, where by now everything pumpkin-flavored is out in shops, American football season is in full-swing, and Halloween decorations will be hanging everywhere. Here you won't find anything pumpkin-flavored, one or two football games will be on each week, and although kids do go trick-or-treating, Halloween isn't too much of a big deal. Actually, it seems like they just skip right ahead to Christmas here. There's already a Christmas card display up when I went in the card store today. Crazy.

Had kind of a busy day today, nothing exciting but plenty to keep me occupied. Went out this morning to get my brother a birthday card, and to print a couple of my sunrise photos I took last week, and pick out frames for them. Then I've been re-arranging the photos on our walls, trying to find the best spots for each. It's such a shame that we can't put any more nails in the walls, since we have so much empty wall space that could be put to use. If I had it my way, this place would look like a photo gallery. Someday I hope we can live in a place where I can do just that. Really, the photos I take that I'm most proud of need to be displayed where they can be appreciated, not just sitting in my computer files. I may not have a career path or anything else I do that I can be proud of, but I do have my photography, and I want the photos I create to be my creative contribution to the world, so to speak.

Getting off topic though, I have to say I really do love living here. This flat is perfect for us at this point in our life, I love the layout and the big rooms and all the windows, I don't love going up all the stairs but then again I suppose it's good for a bit of exercise. I love how I can walk right out onto our street and have all the shops right here where I can find just about everything I need. People always ask me why I'd want to live here instead of the States, don't I miss if there, etc. And yes, there are things about living in the States that I miss, mostly things that I associate with each time of year that aren't the same here, like I mentioned before. I know I'll especially miss having a "traditional" Thanksgiving next month, although I'm trying to convince Adam to have our own celebration with me. But there are things here that I also didn't have when I lived in the States, that I would miss if I wasn't here. Really, there are upsides and downsides to both places, and fundamentally there's not a whole lot of differences between the two, when you look at it. All in all, I think I'm lucky to be able to call both places home.

No comments:

Post a Comment