"Happiness is the meaning and the purpose of life, the whole aim and end of human existence." -Aristotle

Sunday 23 October 2011

Falling Together

Sometimes I just have to talk about the book I'm reading, and I think now is one of those times. Marisa de los Santos is the author of this book, Falling Together, as well as two previous books called Love Walked In and Belong to Me, which I've read previously and fallen in love with right from the beginning. She has an amazing way with words, I could try all day and wouldn't be able to describe it properly, but somehow it just makes me smile the whole way through. Her writing feels good, as if it were lighting a sort of inner warmth inside me as I take it in. It's like the feeling of comfy clothes and fuzzy socks, as you curl up in a patch of sunlight with a hot drink on a cold day. And it's so easy to get caught up in the characters. Her last book, Belong to Me, was a sequel to Love Walked In, so we really got to know those characters, and I'd always hoped to read another story about them, but the three main characters in Falling Together have been easy to get attached to as well.

You know, a really cool coincidence, is that Marisa de los Santos is from my old town, and when I read that I wondered sometimes if she ever went to the same places that I did, and I might see her somewhere. Then she started coming into the coffee shop that I worked in. I wasn't sure it was her at first, but as I kept seeing her now and then I eventually knew for sure that it was. I never said anything, that I recognized her or that I love her books, I get way too shy to say things like that, and the two authors that I've met previously at book signings left me sort of awkwardly gushing my happiness at getting to meet them, which although was true just didn't come out how I wanted it to. So I preferred to just admire her from afar as she sat writing on her laptop just a few feet from me, drinking coffee that I had served her. While I'm reading this book, I keep wondering if she'd been writing it then, which is a pretty cool thought that I could've been present for part of it's creation.

“...if you stay in it for any length of time, like anyplace else, a cafe becomes a world.
                                                                             - Marisa de los Santos



No comments:

Post a Comment