"Happiness is the meaning and the purpose of life, the whole aim and end of human existence." -Aristotle

Wednesday 10 August 2011

dreary weather, and the news isn't any better

So, it's been a pretty quiet day, rainy, lazy, last lazy day I'll have until Tuesday next week since I'm working every day until then. Work's going alright, although since I'm still going slow with most everything I do (better to go slower and be less likely to make mistakes, after all, don't you agree?) sometimes I worry that I'm just annoying everyone. But that could just be the insecurities of being the new person. I felt the same way when I was still new at Brew Haha, and look how that turned out, after some time it all became second nature to me. All I can do is go in and give it my best effort, and little by little it does start to get easier. Hopefully my feet will start to hurt less too, it's hard to keep standing up in those shoes as the day goes on, and I know that affects my ability to focus on what I'm doing. Last night we ended up closing two hours early, due to the riots. Our area hasn't had any problems, but the upper management decided that all our stores in the region would close early. It's so sad to watch the videos of all the chaos on the news, it's just crazy how much this is spreading and how the police haven't been able to contain it. I really hope things settle down soon, I never would've expected this to happen here. I know it supposedly started when that guy was shot by the police last week, and they started a non-violent protest in London, which then escalated into groups of young people rioting and looting, but none of that is either productive towards protesting their anger at the police, or even anything really to do with what happened. It's all about just the pent-up anger of kids, their boredom and their own self-interest of stealing some things to make some money and having "fun" being destructive in the process. Then people in other parts of the country see what's going on and decide to be copycats, and now we have the same thing going on in Birmingham, Liverpool, Manchester, and other cities. And it's just making our country look bad, not to mention all the money that it's costing the shopkeepers and the taxpayers who will have to clean up their mess. People don't think about what they're really doing sometimes, and that's the problem with kids acting out, they think they're sticking it to the man, or whatever, and don't care about the real consequences. Well, hopefully they'll all get rounded up and thrown in jail, and then maybe they'll realize.

Well, I'd best go have my tea before Adam eats it all. Hopefully the weather will get better, the news will look more positive, and the next few days will go by fast and be easy enough to get through.

No comments:

Post a Comment