"Happiness is the meaning and the purpose of life, the whole aim and end of human existence." -Aristotle

Thursday 22 September 2011

sickened and dishearted

I've had a lot of feelings this morning, after coming online and reading about how Georgia went through with the execution of Troy Davis. The thing is, even before this case I've been against capital punishment. I'm a firm believer that an eye for an eye leaves the world blind. What really happens when we kill someone in revenge for a crime they've committed? Does it bring their victim back to life? What did we really learn from this, besides the barbaric nature of humanity proving itself yet again? Taking a life in my opinion is something that should only be done when necessary, in times when your life or your safety, or the safety of another person is being threatened in that moment, or maybe in special cases when a person is too dangerous to let them live (as in the case of someone like Osama Bin Laden) I do believe that everyone makes their own choices, and all choices have consequences. If you make the choice to harm someone, the consequence is that you have to be stopped. But was Troy Davis hurting anyone from where he was in prison? Was he a danger to society? Was it necessary to execute him? Was any good supposed to come out of this? And can anyone say with 100% conviction that he was even guilty of the crime he was convicted of? Because it sounds to me that the answer to all of those questions was No.

Now what really gets me about this case is how they could even think of going through with the execution when there was any doubt of the man's guilt. Chances are more than likely that the state of Georgia has just executed an innocent man, and how they think they can justify that just amazes and sickens me. This is just one more reason why the death penalty needs to be abolished. At least if they'd just kept him in prison and later on proved that he wasn't guilty, they could release him, but now there's no going back from what they just did. And in my opinion, the people who let him die are no better than the person who committed this crime in the first place.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with you completely hun. The whole things scares me and that's even before considering he may have been innocent. The thought that we live in a world anyone believes they have the right to kill anyone for any reason, especially the people in charge, makes me want to cry or hide or leave!
    I have always been against the death penalty (perhaps I watched Dead man walking too young), it's obviously not a successful deterrent and I just cannot see how it's any different to a "criminal" killing someone they believe deserves to die just because it's been decided by the courts.
    The whole thing makes me very sad and, like I said, very very scared.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I talked about this in class before. You never can repay an innocent man after the death penalty. I'm all for solitary confinement that way they actually are punished.

    ReplyDelete